How to enter for an award
Applications should be made by selecting a category from the list provided and completing the application form and then submitting the form electronically. An appendix can be uploaded to support the application. Applications are now open, and will close 14th February 2017, before the Gala Dinner is held on 23rd March 2017.
The Slough Business Awards are open to all 22,000 + businesses operating within the geographical boundaries of the Slough and SL postcodes. Business can be self-nominated or be suggested by any SL Postcode resident or business.
All entrants may state why the SL postcode area of Windsor Maidenhead Slough Marlow Ascot Gerrards Cross is a good location from where to do busness.
Rules of the competition
You may enter up to THREE categories. Choose the categories based on your strengths as a company or individual. Be honest about what you are good at and think about how you can best demonstrate this to the judges. Provide robust evaluation of your business or achievements. Measurable results, such as sales, turnover, ROI and profit figures speak for themselves and are worth far more than vague statements or clichés.
- Select award category to enter
- Click on chosen category to upload application form
- Complete the application form
- Submit the form
Write in plain English and keep it simple. The judges are unlikely to be experts in your particular field so avoid jargon.
We advise that you use tools such as Microsoft word to complete your application. Word will enable you to save any changes made to the document before copying and pasting the relevant answers onto the application form. This allows you to complete the application form in more than one sitting.
Small Business of the year
- How has your business performed in recent years? Particularly, you should detail the turnover and profits of the company over the last three financial years.
- What is your current strategy for the development of the business and how will you implement that strategy? Link the strategic decisions taken in the past to the performance of the company, as described in the response to previous question.
- How do you manage your business and what performance indicators do you use? Provide examples of the reporting used to manage the business.
- What processes do you use to research and develop new products or services, and how do you introduce them to the market?
- How do you provide customer care and monitor customer satisfaction?
- What is your marketing strategy and how is it implemented?
- How do you communicate with your employees and what level of involvement do they have in business decisions?
- What contribution does your business make to the community including, if relevant, steps to protect the environment?
Try to enter as much factual data and evidence as possible. Use bullet points to highlight key facts and data.
The Business of the Year award will be given to the business that demonstrates a commitment to customers and strong leadership that enables the business to thrive in every respect. Such a business should also have a commitment to the local community and a passion for innovation and be outstanding in every regard.
The Excellence in Skills Award will be given to the business, which has demonstrated the best approach to a comprehensive employee development programme in line with achieving the organisation’s business objectives.
The innovative business of the year award will be given to the business with the best example of innovation, which has been developed and applied to improve product, service and delivers commercial performance.
The High Growth Business of the year award will be given to the business that shows evidence of sustained growth of 10% or more over the last 3 years.
The startup business of the year award will be given to the business that has recently started since Jan 2013 and has shown significant growth and expansion.
The micro business of the year award will be given to the business constituting 5 employees or under which had demonstrated sustained growth and an innovative approach.
The SME Business of the year award will be given to the business of between 10 and 250 employees that has excelled in people management, sales and marketing, operational quality and financial performance.
The entrepreneur of the year award will be given to the individual or company, which exemplifies true entrepreneurial spirit, risk taking, resilience and identification of opportunity to grow their successful business.
The Female Entrepreneur of the Year award is given to any business whose majority shareholding or ownership is held by a female entrepreneur. This award is designed to inspire and encourage growth of the number of female business owners and leaders in enterprise. They should demonstrate that they are a committed leader of a successful growing business, with a flair for entrepreneurship, corporate social responsibility and an inspiration to the workforce.
This award will be made from a nominated selection of Corporate Businesses in the Slough economic area who have contributed in the following way;
- They have brought significant jobs and investment to the town ( In excess of 100)
- They have contributed to the Slough Skills agenda over and above their own companies commitments
- They have supported programmes to help unemployed people
- They have supported careers events and Slough Schools
- They have provided apprenticeships, work experience placements, mentors
- They have contributed to CSR activities through volunteering and supporting the Slough Community
To win this the category the applicant has to demonstrate why they have been a good employer, how they have developed their people, how they have retained them, paid them well, helped them deliver personal and business objectives, what other perks and conditions they give their employees.
Excellence in Export Award
This award is for independent businesses that have been voted by the Slough population to have provided an excellent service based on;
- Providing a high quality of customer Service
- Providing choice for the diverse communities they serve
- Opening hours that are convenient to consumers
- They comply with environmental health and regulatory requirements
- They have served the Slough economic area for more than 5 years